Evaluation Techniques and Methods
Learning and development (L&D) professionals are often asked to measure training and development effectiveness. Assessing relevant L&D metrics can be intimidating. This course will equip you with a toolbox of evaluation techniques and methods, giving you the expertise to match your training measurement strategy to your specific program.
In this course, you will learn the Kirkpatrick’s Four Levels of Evaluation and take a deep dive into two additional approaches for measuring training effectiveness: Return on Investme nt (ROI) analysis and Transfer climate analysis.
After covering each of these methods, you will learn when each is most appropriate, how and when to gather or measure different training and development metrics, how to analyze and interpret your L&D data, and how to report on the effectiveness of your training programs across your business.
This course also offers the opportunity to discuss your own training measurement experiences and challenges with other L&D professionals to ensure you leave with actionable ways to improve training measurement at your organization.
Key Benefits :
- Identify the most appropriate measurement strategy based on your unique training program.
- Select and use the proper methods and sources to obtain relevant data in support of your evaluation plan to show impact.
- Communicate training and development results to senior executives
- Apply measurement knowledge to real-world scenarios with realistic challenges.
Approaches to Training Evaluation
- Kirkpatrick’s Four Levels of Training Evaluation.
- Training and Development Return on Investme nt (ROI).
- L&D Transfer Climate Analysis.
Learner Reactions (Kirkpatrick “Level 1”)
- When and what to measure.
- Reporting Level 1 results.
Learning (Kirkpatrick “Level 2”)
- When and what types of learning to measure.
- Collecting Level 2 metrics and visualizing results.
Behavior Change (Kirkpatrick “Level 3”)
- When and how to measure behavior change.
Choosing the right measurement methodology.
- Reporting on training related behavior change.
Business Impact (Kirkpatrick “Level 4”)
- When and how to measure business improvement.
- Isolating the impact of training.
- Reporting on training effectiveness at Level 4.
Return On Investment (ROI)
- Defining ROI/the basics of the ROI formula.
- Understanding and reporting your ROI results.
Transfer Climate Analysis
- Collecting L&D climate data and understanding your training transfer climate.
- Reporting your transfer climate results.
Case Examples: Evaluation in Practice
Exercise – apply the course concepts in your own training and development programs to develop your new and improved learning and development evaluation strategies.